My plan is to apply these skills to a variety of projects including an Inverness Cape over on my new Three Costume Blog.
I also intend to use the course to help kick-start my Tennant Suit work, which has rather lapsed of late.
The last work I did on the suit jacket was way back in May 2009, when I cracked the Faux Flap Pockets. (see right). That work is still valid, as too is the design I did for the Box-Pleat Breast Pocket I had done earlier (see below).
However, the one thing I was having issues with was the body shape of the jacket itself.
Being self-taught has got me a long way, but doing a fitted jacket was proving to be challenge that was stretching my skill too far. My plan is to gain the knowledge I need form the course to rectify this and crack making fitted jackets!
I discussed this with my tutor, Nicola, and she explained that I needed to first create a ‘block’ for my jacket.
A block is a term used for a non-pattern specific shape used for fitting, from which usable patterns can be easily derived.
She explanied to me the best way to arrive at my block.