Tuesday 6 December 2011

Magnoli replica Giorgio Armani tie -
the comparison

You will have seen recently that I bought one of the Magnoli replica Giorgio Armani ties.

I think it is great, don’t get me wrong, but I had the chance to compare it one-on-one with a genuine Armani tie, and the results are, to say the least, interesting.

My good friend Kevin, whom I tailored The Ultimate Tennant Suit for, is the lucky owner of a the correct brown version of the Armani tie, that the latest Magnoli is a replica of.

If you looked closely you will have seen him wearing it at a photoshoot at the San Diego Comic Con (see below).


I caught up wit him recently at Chicago TARDIS, and we both happened to have our Armani ties (my replica and his original) so it was the ideal chance to compare them like-for-like.


The real Armani is on the bottom of the picture above, and you can see that the background is several shades darker than the replica.

The pattern of the tie is really pretty much spot on, but the original has a subtle woven ribbing across the background (see right), which is not present on the replica at all (see below).

Looking at the two together, it would have been better to have flipped the background colour with the colour of the circles, as the replica is almost a negative of the genuine tie.

The sky blue rings are a good match for colour and shape.

The weights of the ties compare well, as does the quality of silk that has been used.

It‘s really just down to then colour and finer detail of the weave.

This puts me in mind of the previous replia, the St George by Duffer, or Utopia Tie (see left).

This was stitch-perfect, but the background colour was notably out, being a coffee rather than chocolate brown. Very frustrating.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the Nina Ricci tie turns out when that is completed.

1 comment:

  1. Nice comparison piece Steve
    I do enjoy reading all about the ties!

    ReplyDelete